Should I issue a confirmation of residence (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung) to my tenants?

According to the German Federal Act on Registration, lessors are obliged to issue a written confirmation to their tenants when they move in. The tenant submits this so-called confirmation of residence (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung) when registering or changing the place of residence at the registration office or the citizens' office. An exception applies if the rented apartment is in an accommodation facility (for example, in an apartment hotel):
  • - Tenants who already have an apartment in Germany in which they have registered are not obliged to register with the authorities in this secondary apartment until the rental period exceeds 6 months. For this purpose, they must be issued a landlord’s confirmation of residence after the 6 months have expired.
  • - Tenants without residence in Germany do not have to register with the authorities until the rental period exceeds 3 months. To do this, they also need a confirmation of residence from you as their lessor.
Please download our template for the confirmation of residence (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung). More information on the landlord's confirmation of residence (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung) can be found here (in German).   Please note: The contents of this page have been created for your information and do not replace legal advice. For legal advice in your specific case, please contact a lawyer.